Thick and Neutral Poncho
The versatile gray color allows you to wear this topper with just about any outfit and the thick wool will make sure you stay warm at all times. The feminine design even features a hood, so your head will also be cozy. During those crisp days of fall, you can throw on this
Crochet Hook: P/16 or 11.5 mm hook
Yarn Weight: (6) Super Bulky/Super Chunky (4-11 stitches for 4 inches)
- DROPS POLARIS from Garnstudio; Color no 04, medium gray: 1000-1200-1300-1400-1500-1600) g
- Or use: DROPS CLOUD from Garnstudio: Colour no 04, medium grey: 450-550-600-650-700-750) g
- DROPS CROCHET HOOK SIZE 12 mm/US O – or size needed to get 6 tr = width 10 cm / 4” (1 repetition of A.1 measures approx. 8 cm / 3 1/8” in width, 1 repetition of A.2 measures approx. 10 cm / 4” in width).
- DROPS MOTHER-OF-PEARL BUTTON NO 540: 1 piece for all sizes
- This pattern is written in American English. All measurements in charts are in cm. For conversion from inches to cm – click here. There are different terms for crocheting in American and British English. If this pattern includes crochet, click for “crochet terms” here. For this pattern in British English, please click here.
- Beg every tr row with ch 4 (= 1st tr), skip 1st st from previous row, work tr in every st the entire row, turn.
- PATTERN A.1: 1 repetition of A.1 = 2 tr, ch 2, 2 tr (in same tr on 1ST ROUND, then in same ch-space). Replace 1st tr on round with ch 4.
- PATTERN A.2: 1 repetition of A.2 = 3 tr, ch 2, 3 tr in same ch-space. Replace 1st tr on round with ch 4.
- INCREASE TIP: Inc 1 st by working 2 sts in the same st.
- DECREASE TIP: Dec 1 st on 1st row on hood by skipping 1 ch on cast on edge.
Piece is worked from neck and down. First work back and forth for split mid front, then work in the round.
- Loosely ch 29-31-31-33-33-35 with Polaris on hook size 12 mm/O, turn and work 1 tr in 5th ch from hook (the first 4 ch = 1st tr), then 1 tr in every ch = 26-28-28-30-30-32 tr, turn (1st row = WS). READ CROCHET INFO! On 2nd row inc 17-21-21-25-25-29 tr – READ INCREASE TIP – evenly on row = 43-49-49-55-55-61 tr. Repeat inc 1 more time on next row = 60-70-70-80-80-90 tr.
- Continue to work in the round as follows:
- ROUND 1: In 1st tr work A.1 – read explanation above, * skip 4 tr, work A.1 in next tr *, repeat from *-* the entire round, skip the last 4 tr, finish with 1 sl st in 4th ch (= 1st tr) from beg of round = 12-14-14-16-16-18 repetitions of A.1.
- ROUND 2: Sl sts until 1st ch-space, work A.1 in same ch-space, then A.1 in every ch-space on round, finish with 1 sl st in 4th ch (= 1st tr) from beg of round.
- ROUND 3: Work as 2nd round.
- ROUND 4: Sl sts until 1st ch-space, work A.2 – read explanation above – in same ch-space, then A.2 in every ch-space on round, finish with 1 sl st in 4th ch (= 1st tr) from beg of round.
- Repeat 4TH ROUND 5-5-6-6-7-7 more times = a total of 6-6-7-7-8-8 rounds with A.2. Cut and fasten the thread. Piece measures approx. 52-52-57-57-62-62 cm / 20½”-20½”-22½”-22½”-24½”-24½” vertically.
- Worked back and forth along cast on edge as follows: From RS work tr – AT THE SAME TIME dec 5-2-2-4-4-1 st evenly – READ DECREASE TIP = 21-26-26-26-26-31 tr.
- Then work as follows: In 1st tr work A.1, * skip 4 tr, A.1 in next tr *, repeat from *-* the entire row = 5-6-6-6-6-7 repetitions of A.1, turn piece and work sl sts until 1st ch-space (last ch-space on previous row).
- * Work next row as follows: Work A.1 in every ch-space on row, turn piece and work sl sts until 1st ch-space (last ch-space on previous row) *.
- Repeat from *-* until hood measures approx. 30 cm / 11½” (approx. 6 repetitions vertically), fasten off.
- Place the hood double and sew it tog at the top, sew in front loop to avoid a chunky seam. Sew on one button at beg of 1st row on poncho (at the edge towards mid front on left front piece).